Helping Manufacturing Sales Teams Master a Broad Product Suite Through Intuitive Sales Training
How Chesterton upskills teams and amps up sales through video-based practice.
It’s made our lives so much easier! We can execute sales boot camps and other training camps across teams, across locations, and across countries! The results are consistent and phenomenal. Every learner/user who has experienced Rehearsal has only good things to say about the platform. Even initial video-skeptics embraced the tool, as they could witness changes—eye contact, communication, delivery, and so much more. We see us continuing to use Rehearsal and build strength, overcome technological challenges, rely on analytics, and move forward as an organization.
Global Training Manager
A.W. Chesterton is a world leader in helping process industry companies and manufacturers improve the reliability and effectiveness of their process platforms. They are known for their award-winning pump and valve sealing solutions, applications expertise, equipment maintenance and wear-prevention products, and knowledgeable, hands-on local service.
Founded in 1884 and headquartered in Massachusetts, Chesterton has an extensive sales force spread across 113 countries worldwide.
With an expansive sales force responsible for selling a suite of Chesterton products—from pumps and seals to coatings and lubricants across all major industries—team members are expected to go through Chesterton University for in-depth product knowledge sessions combined with sales enablement activities.
The two-week in-person training sessions include homework assignments at the end of each training day, which involve learners creating and uploading video solutions to proposed sales situations.
“We believe the video-based practice and learning methodology is the ideal approach for our organization and our objectives. It helps drive training home through effective practice and application of new skills,” Mark Orlando, Global Training Manager at Chesterton.
The company’s LMS was not the ideal platform for this mission. Learners found it extremely challenging to record videos using their LMS. The video recording and uploading took up valuable time and frustrated learners daily. Each file from every learner had to be accessed by the L&D leader, checked for issues, and passed on to the mentor for review. They then repeated the entire process in reverse—from mentor to the L&D leader and finally to the learner for feedback.
This long and arduous system became a deterrent for learners to sign up or complete sales training programs. For Mentors and Facilitators, the process of checking learning outcomes was exhaustive. L&D leaders found it clunky and inconvenient. The strategically designed training curriculum and sound content were reduced to an unpleasant training experience for all stakeholders. Even worse, it negatively affected the learning culture in the organization. Without collaboration among learners, upskilling efforts of sales members fell short. Company sales dipped and failed to motivate global sales teams.
“From elevator pitches to handling diverse scenarios, we wanted to continuously evaluate and support sales team members to pitch better, and the current system was just not supportive of our mission.”
When the pandemic struck, sales members could not visit plants and experience the products. Luckily, participants became more comfortable with virtual sessions and recording videos of lessons learned, but the logistical challenges and mediocre learning experiences persisted.
“We also want to move these training programs internationally—involving sales members in Australia, China, India, Japan, and beyond.”
Strategy & Solution
Chesterton trialed Rehearsal, a video-based practice tool from ELB Learning, and was impressed with how the platform could efficiently address their pain points.
- L&D Managers could easily navigate the platform and impressed with its simplicity and how effectively the tool could help sales teams upskill faster and ultimately sell more.
- With 150 licenses, the Rehearsal platform was accessible to all learners involved.
Distribution of tasks to learners via Rehearsal was simple and immediate. Facilitators and L&D Managers could move away from lengthy pages of instructions and scenarios, instead simply recording a scenario with expectations and instantly distributing a quick, clear brief to all learners.
In response, learners could quickly apply knowledge and skills, record videos, and submit their assignments directly to their mentors/facilitators. Further, learners received their assessment in real-time through the application’s AI tool. It allowed learners to dramatically improve sales demos and soft skills by repeatedly responding to workplace scenarios and refining their knowledge and skills.
Rehearsal truly transformed how Chesterton was delivering training:
- The ease of operating the Rehearsal platform resulted in enthusiastic participation from mentors and sales leaders—a complete turnaround from the pre-Rehearsal days.
- Distributors in different countries could experience sales training without traveling, and Chesterton learners in Chile and Mexico could train in their native language.
- Facilitators could easily assign tasks and assignments to the learners during and after the training.
“Chesterton experienced astounding results from the get-go! The whole company benefited from Rehearsal, not just sales. Within two weeks of using the tool, we could witness a sea of change in learning outcomes. It’s been an upward trend in all aspects, and we continue to see the same amazing and consistent results two years later.”
- Rehearsal provided an easy and intuitive sales learning experience. It engaged the learners with the training content and their mentors, and they were enthusiastic about completing assignments.
- The mock sales calls and elevator pitches enhanced the communication and confidence of team members. It provided a safe space to fail, practice, and sharpen selling skills.
- It supercharged participation and completion of training courses.
- Using Rehearsal, learners transformed delivery, used fillers effectively, and asked the right questions to prospects.
- With more mentors excited to use the platform, creating well-rounded salespeople became a collaborative effort. Together, it fostered a competitive learning environment driven by a common goal and purpose.
- The tool was a gateway for enhanced analytics and cohesive reporting for L&D leaders. The archive of videos generated a library to access before and after videos, use snippets for other company activities, create best practices/performance support solutions, and other numerous sales resources.
- An intuitive, comfortable, and accessible tool for learners fostered better learning experiences.
- The multitude of mentors ensured feedback was balanced and comprehensive. The automated notification system simplified the process and guaranteed a quick turnaround.
- It helped hone skills unlike any other training program, and learners became better communicators.
“It has had a tremendous impact on learners! It has undoubtedly transformed sales training efforts which helped us meet our business objectives.”
A six-month check-in revealed the following metrics:
- Rehearsal helped upskill sales 30-40% faster than ever before.
- It further enabled leaders to qualify sales members and refine their skills.
- Sales numbers and overall revenue increased by over 10% within a year.
- Sales members now have expert product knowledge and are prepared to pitch any scenario.
- Accelerated time to proficiency, adaptability, and performance of both internal (sales teams) and external (global distributors) audiences.
“It’s made our lives so much easier! We can execute sales boot camps and other training camps across teams, across locations, and across countries! The results are consistent and phenomenal. Every learner/user who has experienced Rehearsal has only good things to say about the platform. Even initial video-skeptics embraced the tool, as they could witness changes—eye contact, communication, delivery, and so much more. We see us continuing to use Rehearsal and build strength, overcome technological challenges, rely on analytics, and move forward as an organization.” Mark Orlando, Global Training Manager at Chesterton.
8 AM – 5 PM MST
Meet with other L&D professionals, share your creations, learn tips and tricks, and so much more!
Visit the Knowledge Base for tutorials, help articles, and getting started guides on all our products.